I'm not sure we'd need original material for it though. No celebrity reflective essay crap that nobody wants to read. I mean, so Hilary Duff's pet goldfish died. Who cares? (Note: not from actual Chicken Soup experience, so Hilary, sorry if you're being wrongly accused of writing something sappy or having an ex-goldfish. Remember, I do write fiction.)
Anyway, I think some TV shows, movies, books, etc. are much more entertaining than they have any right to be. These would definitely be considered Junkfood for the Soul: fluffy, predictable, full of cliched dialogue and stupid love triangles or random bromance (maybe a combination---delicious!)
Here's my list of favorite Junkfood items so far (recommendations wanted and needed, so don't be shy!):
- Supernatural: Hot guys (see picture) and creepy monsters + bromance that has spawned slash---kind of gross considering that they're brothers, but who cares. Don't know what "slash" is? Think jokes about Spock and Kirk. Oh yeah, people have bravely gone there.
- Dirty Harry: Originally, I referred to these as Cheetos movies, but I guess it still fits under the general junk food category. For the uninitiated, start with The Dead Pool and work back from there.
- Magnum P.I.: Tom Selleck in Hawaii driving a Ferrari. Really, what else do you need to know?
- Prison Break: Such a guilty pleasure! Not to spoil the surprise, but yes, they do break out and the show goes on, but I don't watch it for the suspense. I watch it for the shirtless moments. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.
- Buffy, Season 3: Be five-by-five with Faith and kick some serious monster butt!
- Anything by Lee Child
- Anything by Stephen King
- Die Hard: It's an action movie and a Christmas movie! Yeah!
- Disturbia: Rear Window on house arrest; total lack of bromance and explosions, but a few corpses
- Total Recall: My husband recommended this with "Screeeew yooooou!"
- RoboCop: Best bad movie ever
- South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut: Yes, it's funnier with the naughty language bleeped out, but the musical numbers are so charming.